Wednesday, April 11, 2007

toilet training my little (big) Bug

Toilet training a normal child isn't easy, but training an autistic one is far harder...trust me.

As long as he has no pants on he's fine and today he's gone all by his self. However when I take him to preschool and he has to have pants on they are having the hardest time getting him to go in the toilet.

So today I'm starting over...this time with underwear and pants. wish me luck!!!

~R
oh how I miss the respite worker. i didnt realize how much I look foreward to my thursday evenings when she takes Elijah for a bit, until she told me she was going to take a 6 week break on her docters orders. We are three weeks into that 6 week break.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, You don't know me but I can relate to your frustration. My daughter has also been diagnosed....toilet training is our BIGGEST (not only) frustration right now. I found your page while searching for other parents involved in PRT. Thanks for writing. You have encouraged me without knowing it!

Rhoda said...

wow, thanks a zillion!

You have inspired me to write more. My biggest problem with PRT is that the people who come to my house is sooo overwhelming.

anything in particular you want to ask i can give my opinion on it.

~R

Anonymous said...

I guess I was just wondering if other parents were as overwhelmed as I was. When I read your post I felt like I wrote it because it was exactly how I felt. You helped me know that I wasn't CRAZY!

Rhoda said...

well it is always great to know your not alone. elijah'sa sweetheart, but at times he's overwhelming.

I find writing about it makes me feel better because it takes it off my shoulders. If you ever wanna talk I'm pretty sure my email addy is in my profile.

When I'm feeling stressed out to much I take off and make my hubby take care of him awhile. It's amazing whet that can do for your partener, makes them appreciate you a whole lot more. LOL

~R

Rhoda said...

another thing how are you going about toilet training? do you have outside support?

~R

Anonymous said...

We have been doing the pull up thing, then she switched to underwear..she just can't seem to be bothered to actually get up and go to the bathroom! She wears underwear and we just deal with the cleanup! She is a far way from leaving her pullup at night though. I found that the more we bug her about it, the more "accidents" she has. We have to make her think that it is her idea

Rhoda said...

I posted a new post above to give you an idea of how I'm doing it.

Didnt have a lot of time so may have missed something.

Good luck
R